Checklist for Newcomers

We understand that there are many things you need to plan ahead for prior to moving here. That’s why we’ve created a helpful checklist that you can use as a resource to get ready and make the transition a little easier.


Arrange for medical insurance.
Your provincial government-sponsored medical plan will not be active for the first 90 days you’re in Canada. To cover yourself until then, consider purchasing Visitors to Canada Insurance.
Fill any prescriptions.
You may want to bring a six-month supply of medications. Brands may be different in Canada and prices could be more expensive if you’re paying out-of-pocket. Be sure to review the list of items you are allowed to bring into Canada
Transfer funds to your Canadian bank account.
To enter Canada, you may have to show you have the required funds to support your family. This is easier if the funds are already in a Canadian bank account in your name.
Check the amount of money you will be bringing.
If you are bringing in CAD 10,000  or more, you must report it to Canada Border Services Agency—whether it’s in Canadian dollars (cash, cheques, etc.) or the equivalent in your country’s currency.
Gather essential documents
To enter Canada, these are some of the documents you’ll need to present: – A Canadian immigrant visa (if applicable) and Confirmation of Permanent Residence for you and each family member travelling with you – A valid passport or other travel document for you and each family member travelling with you – Two (2) copies of a detailed list of all the personal or household items you are bringing with you -Two (2) copies of a list of items that are arriving later and their monetary value
Other documents you may need include:
-marriage certificates -driver’s licence -adoption, separation or divorce papers -birth certificates -letters of reference from former employers -school records, diplomas or degrees for each family member traveling with you -a list of your educational and professional qualifications and job experience for your résumé -immunization records for your children Make photocopies of all these types of documents, in case the originals get lost. Be sure to keep the photocopies in a separate place from the originals.
Visit the official website of your new city. Learn about the area, job and housing markets, schools, recreation and more. Arrange your accommodation
Have your phone number roamed for international usage


Use ArriveCAN for a faster border  experience
When you arrive at the airport in Canada, you will see signs in both English and French to direct you. Follow the signs that read Arrivals and Customs (also known as the Immigration area). When you are at Customs, there will be lines for Canadian citizens and non-Canadian citizens. Make sure you get in the appropriate line. You will be asked to report to an Immigration Officer for an Immigration interview and PR card processing.
The immigration officer will ask you for a physical address in Canada to which they can mail your Permanent Residency card. If you have a Canadian address available (either your own, a family member or trusted friend) you can provide this to them, and they will then mail the card to you at that address. If you do not have a Canadian address available, they will provide you with a form to complete and send to them once it is available. They will not send the cards to you outside of Canada. If you do not receive your Permanent Resident card before you need to return to your home country, you will need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document for your next entry to Canada.


Register a local SIM card number
Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)as one of the top priorities on your to-do list when you arrive in Canada. It is a nine-digit number required to work in Canada, file income tax, or access government benefits and programs. Your SIN is unique and can be used as an identifier by government agencies.
Apply for  Health Care Coverage for you and all members of your family. Most of the health cards application can be filed online with effective 3 months after landing.
Make an appointment with the bank where you plan to do your banking. If you have already transferred money to your new bank, drop by to update information, open new credit card for new comers and, if necessary, to get advice on managing your money
New residents that have a valid driver’s licence from another country, province or state can use their existing licence no longer than 60 to 90 days (depending on which Canadian province you reside in).If you would like to continue driving after the aforementioned time period expires, all provinces and territories require drivers to obtain a valid Canadian driver’s licence.
Register your children for school All children living in Canada are entitled to a free elementary and secondary school education. Contact your local school to begin the registration process. You’ll need to provide your address, your child’s birth certificate and proof of their immunizations. Some schools will test your child’s math and English language skills to see if extra support would be helpful.