Work while studying

International Students: Working While Studying

Work off-campus

Effective November 15, 2022 until December 31, 2023, Canada is allowing eligible international students to work over 20 hours per week while class is in session. This temporary measure aims to help relief Canada’s labour shortages. Eligibility requirements to work off-campus In order to be eligible to work off-campus during his or her studies, an international student must:
  • hold a valid study permit;
  • be studying full-time at a designated learning institution (Visit our dedicated page for a comprehensive Designated Learning Institution (DLI) List);
  • have started studying and remain in satisfactory academic standing as determined by their institution;
  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that is at least six months in duration and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate; and
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
The following international students are not eligible to work off-campus:
  • Students enrolled in an English as a Second Language (ESL) or French as a Second Language (FSL) program;
  • Students taking a general interest course or program; and
  • Visiting or exchange students at a designated learning institution.

Work on-campus

An international student may be able to work within the boundaries of the campus where he or she is registered in if the student meets specific criteria. Eligibility requirements to work on-campus For an international student to work on-campus without a work permit, he or she must:
  • hold a valid Study Permit;
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN);
  • be registered as a full-time post-secondary student at a:
    • public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • a private college-level school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools, and is at least 50% funded by government grants, or
    • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law
On-campus work includes working for an employer located on the campus grounds of the educational institution where a student is studying. An on-campus employer includes the school, a faculty member, a student organization, a private business (located within the boundaries of the campus), a private contractor that provides services to the school, and being self-employed on-campus.

Work in Canada as a co-op student or intern

International students pursuing a study program at a DLI in Canada that requires a mandatory work placement or internship must apply for a co-op or intern work permit in addition to a valid study permit. From November 15, 2022, to December 31, 2023, you may not need to apply for a co-op work permit. You don’t need a co-op work permit to complete your co-op placement if you meet all of the following conditions:
  • You have a valid study permit and we received your application for this study permit on or before October 7, 2022.
  • Your study permit shows that you’re authorized to work off campus.
  • You’re eligible to benefit from the temporary policy changeto work more than 20 hours per week while class is in session.
  • Your co-op placement ends by December 31, 2023.
If your co-op placement ends after December 31, 2023, or if you aren’t eligible for the temporary policy change, you need to apply for a co-op work permit to cover the period after that date. You can begin your co-op placement during this period before you’re issued the permit. Any other employment you have won’t be affected.